[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Support for multiple provider networks with same VLAN segmentation id

Aaron Rosen aaronorosen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 21:44:12 UTC 2014

Hi Vinay,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Vinay Bannai <vbannai at gmail.com> wrote:

> One way to look at the VLANs is that it identifies a security zone that
> meets some regulatory compliance standards. The VLANs on each rack are
> separated from other VLANs by using VRF. Tenants in our case map to
> applications. So each application is served by a VIP with a pool of VMs. So
> all applications needing regulatory compliance would map to this VLAN. Make
> sense?

Yes, I understand your desire to do this though I think that "networks"
should identify a security zone and not a "vlan".

> As far your question about keeping mac_addresses unique, isn't that
> achieved by the fact that each VM will have a unique mac since it is the
> same control plane allocating the mac address? Or did I miss something??

If I understand correctly what you want to do is to be able to create two
network sharing the same vlan (i.e):

neutron net-create net1 --provider:network_type=vlan
--provider:segmentation_id=1
neutron net-create net2 --provider:network_type=vlan
--provider:segmentation_id=1

in this case the mac_address uniqueness is not preserved as neutron
enforces those per networks and doesn't look at the segmentation_id part at
all.

It seems to me that you want something that allows you to share a network
between specific tenants only? I understand that sharing the same vlan
between tenants does accomplish this but it would be better if we were able
to do this type of thing regardless of the network_type.