[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Support for multiple provider networks with same VLAN segmentation id

Aaron Rosen aaronorosen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 20:32:37 UTC 2014

I believe it would need to be like:

 network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:100:300, phynet2:100:300, phynet3:100:300

Additional comments inline:

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Vinay Bannai <vbannai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bob and Kyle,
>
> Thanks for your review.
> We looked at this option and it seems it might meet our needs. Here is
> what we intend to do:
>
> Let's say we have three racks (each rack supports three VLANs - 100, 200
> and 300).
> We create the following config file for the neutron server
>

> tenant_network_type = vlan
>  network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:100:300
>  network_vlan_ranges = phynet2:100:300
>  network_vlan_ranges = phynet3:100:300
>  integration_bridge = br-int
>  bridge_mappings = physnet1:br-eth1, physnet2:br-eth1, physnet3:br-eth1
> Is this what you meant?
>
> Vinay
>

> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Robert Kukura <rkukura at redhat.com> wrote:

>> multiple provider networks with the same VLAN id. We would like to propose
>> a solution to remove this restriction through a configuration option. This
>> approach would not conflict with the present behavior where it is not
>> possible to create multiple provider networks with the same VLAN id.

>> next summit. The use case for this need is documented in the blueprint
>> specification.
>> >>

>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/duplicate-providernet-vlans
>> >>
>> > Hi Vinay:
>> >
>> > This problem seems straightforward enough, though currently you are
>> right
>> > in that we don't allow multiple Neutron networks to have the same
>> segmentation
>> > ID. I've added myself as approver for this BP and look forward to
>> further
>> > discussions of this before and during the upcoming Summit!

I kind of feel like allowing a vlan to span multiple networks is kind of
wonky. I feel like a better abstraction would be if we had better access
control over shared networks between tenants. This way we could explicitly
allow two tenants to share a network. Is this the problem you are trying to
solve though doing it with the same vlan?  How do you plan on enforcing
that mac_addresses are unique on the same physical network?

Multiple networks with network_type of 'vlan' are already allowed to
>> have the same segmentation ID with the ml2, openvswitch, or linuxbridge
>> plugins - the networks just need to have different physical_network
>> names.

This is the same for the NSX plugin as well.