[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Private or Public network?

Shixiong Shang sparkofwisdom.cloud at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 17:28:55 UTC 2014

Hi, guys:

While I am implementing the code to support IPv6 two mode keywords, a question came to my mind and I would like to see your opinions.

If you look at the table below, you will notice that the first two combinations highlighted with red underline have “ipv6_ra_mode” set to OFF. I think these two options only make sense if the tenant subnet is PRIVATE, i.e. the subnet is not attached to any router. In this case, OpenStack should NOT send RA; On the flip side, if the subset is PUBLIC, i.e. the subnet is attached to a router, then the corresopnding port on the router should be THE default gateway for the tenant subnet, hence, need to handle RA announcement.

In summary, I believe it doesn’t make sense to allow OpenStack to create default gateway for a tenant network, but suppress RA from the default gateway port on Neutron router. If so, the default gateway port is pretty much useless. This is the way I am coding now. However, I might overlook some scenarios. Please chime in if you see any use cases beyond what this table covers.

Thanks!

Shixiong

P.S. The PDF file of this table is uploaded to my Dropbox. Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bojvv9vywsz8sd/IPv6%20Two%20Modes%20v3.0.pdf