[openstack-dev] [infra] Job failures related to Setuptools 8.0 release

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Dec 15 18:30:22 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 10:16 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On Saturday, December 13, Setuptools 8.0 released implementing the
> new PEP 440[1] version specification and dropping support for a
> variety of previously somewhat-supported versioning syntaxes. This
> is impacting us in several ways...
>
> "Multiple range" expressions in requirements are no longer
> interpreted the way we were relying on. The fix is fairly
> straightforward, since the SQLAlchemy requirement in oslo.db (and
> corresponding line in global requirements) is the only current
> example. Fixes for this in multiple branches are in flight.
> [2][3][4] (This last one is merged to oslo.db's master branch but
> not released yet.)
>
> Arbitrary alphanumeric version subcomponents such as PBR's Git SHA
> suffixes now sort earlier than all major version numbers. The fix is
> still in progress[5][6], and resulted in a couple of brown-bag
> releases over the weekend. 0.10.1 generated PEP 440 compliant
> versions which ended up unparseable when included in requirements
> files, so 0.10.2 is a roll-back identical to 0.10.
>
> The "1.2.3.rc1" we were using for release candidates is now
> automatically normalized to "1.2.3c1" during sdist tarball and wheel
> generation, causing tag text to no longer match the resulting file
> names. This may simply require us to change our naming convention[7]
> for these sorts of tags in the future.
>
> In the interim we've pinned setuptools<8 in our infrastructure[8] to
> help keep things moving while these various solutions crystalize,
> but if you run into this problem locally check your version of
> setuptools and try an older one.
>
> [1] http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/141584
> [3] https://review.openstack.org/137583
> [4] https://review.openstack.org/140948
> [5] https://review.openstack.org/141666
> [6] https://review.openstack.org/141667
> [7] https://review.openstack.org/141831
> [8] https://review.openstack.org/141577

I've opened three bugs for three elastic-recheck queries related to
this, then waiting for logstash/e-r to catch up to see what's left to
categorize.

nova: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1402751
glance: https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1402747
pbr: https://bugs.launchpad.net/pbr/+bug/1402759