[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] [PTL] Cascading vs. Cells – summit recap and move forward

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Fri Dec 12 16:06:36 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 09:50 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 12/11/2014 12:55 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
>> Cells can handle a single API on top of globally distributed DCs.  I
>> have spoken with a group that is doing exactly that.  But it requires
>> that the API is a trusted part of the OpenStack deployments in those
>> distributed DCs.
> And the way the rest of the components fit into that scenario is far
> from clear to me.  Do you consider this more of a "if you can make it
> work, good for you", or something we should aim to be more generally
> supported over time?  Personally, I see the globally distributed
> OpenStack under a single API case much more complex, and worth
> considering out of scope for the short to medium term, at least.

I do consider this to be out of scope for cells, for at least the medium
term as you've said.  There is additional complexity in making that a
supported configuration that is not being addressed in the cells
effort.  I am just making the statement that this is something cells
could address if desired, and therefore doesn't need an additional solution.