[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] [PTL] Cascading vs. Cells – summit recap and move forward

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 14:50:33 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 12:55 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
> Cells can handle a single API on top of globally distributed DCs.  I
> have spoken with a group that is doing exactly that.  But it requires
> that the API is a trusted part of the OpenStack deployments in those
> distributed DCs.

And the way the rest of the components fit into that scenario is far
from clear to me.  Do you consider this more of a "if you can make it
work, good for you", or something we should aim to be more generally
supported over time?  Personally, I see the globally distributed
OpenStack under a single API case much more complex, and worth
considering out of scope for the short to medium term, at least.

For me, this discussion boils down to ...

1) Do we consider these use cases in scope at all?

2) If we consider it in scope, is it enough of a priority to warrant a
cross-OpenStack push in the near term to work on it?

3) If yes to #2, how would we do it?  Cascading, or something built
around cells?

I haven't worried about #3 much, because I consider #2 or maybe even #1
to be a show stopper here.

--
Russell Bryant