[openstack-dev] [Neutron] UniqueConstraint for name and tenant_id in security group

Anna Kamyshnikova akamyshnikova at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 11 12:22:36 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

In neutron there is a rather old bug [1] about adding uniqueness for
security group name and tenant id. I found this idea reasonable and started
working on fix for this bug [2]. I think it is good to add a
uniqueconstraint because:

1) In nova there is such constraint for security groups
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/juno/nova/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/216_havana.py#L1155-L1157.
So I think that it is rather disruptive that it is impossible to create
security group with the same name in nova, but possible in neutron.
2) Users get confused having security groups with the same name.

In comment for proposed change Assaf Muller and Maru Newby object for such
solution and suggested another option, so I think we need more eyes on this
change.

I would like to ask you to share your thoughts on this topic.

[1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1194579
[2] - https://review.openstack.org/135006