[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Ironic] Do we want to remove Nova-bm support?

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:57:27 UTC 2014

On Thu Dec 04 2014 at 11:05:53 AM Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Steve Kowalik's message of 2014-12-03 20:47:19 -0800:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >     I'm becoming increasingly concerned about all of the code paths
> > in tripleo-incubator that check $USE_IRONIC -eq 0 -- that is, use
> > nova-baremetal rather than Ironic. We do not check nova-bm support in
> > CI, haven't for at least a month, and I'm concerned that parts of it
> > may be slowly bit-rotting.
> >
> >     I think our documentation is fairly clear that nova-baremetal is
> > deprecated and Ironic is the way forward, and I know it flies in the
> > face of backwards-compatibility, but do we want to bite the bullet and
> > remove nova-bm support?
>
> Has Ironic settled on a migration path/tool from nova-bm? If yes, then
> we should remove nova-bm support and point people at the migration
> documentation.

Such a tool was created and has been provided for the Juno release as a
"sideways migration". That is, an in-place migration from Juno Nova
Baremetal to Juno Ironic is supported. Such is documented here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ironic/NovaBaremetalIronicMigration

That is all that will be provided, as Baremetal has been removed from Nova
at the start of the Kilo cycle.

-Deva