[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA Cells

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 08:25:00 UTC 2014

On 12/04/2014 05:30 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so just having read a bunch of the libvirt driver numa code, I have a
> concern. At first I thought it was a little thing, but I am starting
> to think its more of a big deal...
>
> We use the term "cells" to describe numa cells. However, that term has
> a specific meaning in nova, and I worry that overloading the term is
> confusing.
>
> (Yes, I know the numa people had it first, but hey).
>
> So, what do people think about trying to move the numa code to use
> something like "numa cell" or "numacell" based on context?

Seeing that "node" is also not exactly unambiguous in this space - I am
fine with both with either "numanode" or "numacell" with a slight
preference for "numacell".

A small issue will be renaming it in objects though - as this will
require adding a new field for use in Kilo while still remaining
backwards compatible with Juno, resulting in even more compatibility
code (we already added some for the slightly different data format). The
whole name is quite in context there, but we would use it like:

  for cell in numa_topology.cells:
     # awesome algo here with cell :(

but if we were to rename it just in places where it's used to:

  for numacell in numa_topology.cells:
     # awesome algo here with numacell :)

We would achieve a lot of the disambiguation without renaming object
attributes (but not really make it future proof).

Thoughts?

N.