[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Config Options and OSLO libs

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:58:52 UTC 2014

Hi John,

Let me say first off that I 100% agree with the value of the sample config being in-tree. Keystone has not removed it due to similar feedback I’ve received. However, the issue is that *gating* on config changes for all libraries that are included in the sample config is just a process that leads to this frustration / breakage. I have thought about this, and I think the right answer is two fold:

1) immediately stop gating on sample config changes. I know the cinder team uses it as a “did we break some compat” and “are you changing config” in a patch that could adversely affect deployers/other systems. I don’t think you’re going to win the “don’t change config values in libraries we don’t control” (or even controlled by a separate project) argument. It’s very hard to release an updated oslo lib, clients, or keystonemiddleware.

2) Implement a check (I think I have a way of doing this, I’ll run it by Doug Hellman and you on IRC) that is programatically checking *only* for in-tree config values.

Alternative: A non-voting gate job that says “config has changed” [should be *really* easy to add] so at least you know the config has changed.

This should likely be something easy to get through the door (either the programatic one or the simple non-voting job). This however, needs the infra team buy-in as acceptable.

I know that most projects have moved away from gating on this since we now consume a lot of libraries that provide config options that the individual server-projects don’t control (it is the reason Keystone doesn’t gate explicitly on this).

Just my quick $0.002 on the topic,
—Morgan