[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Config Options and OSLO libs

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:44:56 UTC 2014

Hey,

So this is a long running topic, but I want to bring it up again.
First, YES Cinder is still running a sample.conf.  A lot of Operators
spoke up and provided feedback that this was valuable and they
objected strongly to taking it away.  That being said we're going to
go the route of removing it from our unit tests and
generating/publishing periodically outside of tests.

That being said, one of the things that's driving me crazy and
breaking things on a regular basis is other OpenStack libs having a
high rate of change of config options.  This revolves around things
like fixing typos in the comments, reformatting of text etc.  All of
these things are good in the long run, but I wonder if we could
consider batching these sorts of efforts and communicating them?

The other issue that we hit today was a flat out removal of an option
in the oslo.messaging lib with no deprecation.  This patch here [1]
does a number of things that are probably great in terms of clean up
and housekeeping, but now that we're all in on shared/common libs I
think we should be a bit more careful about the changes we make.  Also
to me the commit message doesn't really make it easy for me to search
git logs to try and figure out what happened when things blew up.

Anyway, just wanted to send a note out asking people to keep in mind
the impact of conf changes, and a gentle reminder about depreciation
periods for the removal of options.

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/commit/bcb3b23b8f6e7d01e38fdc031982558711bb7586