[openstack-dev] [diskimage-builder] Tracing levels for scripts (119023)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Dec 2 22:30:47 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Ian Wienand's message of 2014-12-02 11:22:31 -0800:
> On 12/02/2014 03:46 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > 1) Conform all o-r-c scripts to the logging standards we have in
> > OpenStack, or write new standards for diskimage-builder and conform
> > them to those standards. Abolish non-conditional xtrace in any script
> > conforming to the standards.
>
> Honestly in the list of things that need doing in openstack, this must
> be near the bottom.
>
> The whole reason I wrote this is because "disk-image-create -x ..."
> doesn't do what any reasonable person expects it to; i.e. trace all
> the scripts it starts.
>
> Having a way to trace execution of all d-i-b scripts is all that's
> needed and gives sufficient detail to debug issues.

Several developers have expressed their concern for an all-or-nothing
approach to this. The concern is that when you turn off the "trace all"
you lose the author-intended "info" level messages.

I for one find the idea of printing every cp, cat, echo and ls command out
rather frustratingly verbose when scanning logs from a normal run. Do I
want it sometimes? YES, but it will actually hinder normal image building
iteration if we only have a toggle of "all trace" or "no trace".