[openstack-dev] [glance] Deprecating osprofiler option 'enabled' in favour of 'profiler_enabled'

Louis Taylor kragniz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 11:44:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 12:16:44PM +0800, Zhi Yan Liu wrote:
> Why not change other services instead of glance? I see one reason is
> "glance is the only one service use this option name", but to me one
> reason to keep it as-it in glance is that original name makes more
> sense due to the option already under "profiler" group, adding
> "profiler" prefix to it is really redundant, imo, and in other
> existing config group there's no one go this naming way. Then in the
> code we can just use a clear way:
>
>     CONF.profiler.enabled
>
> instead of:
>
>     CONF.profiler.profiler_enabled
>
> thanks,
> zhiyan

I agree this looks nicer in the code. However, the primary consumer of this
option is someone editing it in the configuration files. In this case, I
believe having something more verbose and consistent is better than the Glance
code being slightly more elegant.

One name or the other doesn't make all that much difference, but consistency in
how we turn osprofiler on and off across projects would be best.

- Louis