[openstack-dev] [nova] Integration with Ceph

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Mon Dec 1 12:28:18 UTC 2014

Hi Sergey,

AFAIU, the problem is that when Nova was designed initially, it had no
notion of shared storage (e.g. Ceph), so all the resources were
considered to be local to compute nodes. In that case each total value
was a sum of values per node. But as we see now, that doesn't work
well with Ceph, when the storage is actually shared and doesn't belong
to any particular node.

It seems we've got two different, but related problems here:

1) resource tracking is incorrect, as nodes shouldn't report info
about storage when shared storage is used (fixing this by reporting
e.g. 0 values would require changes to nova-scheduler)

2) total storage is calculated incorrectly as we just sum the values
reported by each node

>From my point of view, in order to fix both, it might make sense for
nova-api/nova-scheduler to actually know, if shared storage is used
and access Ceph directly (otherwise, it's not clear, which compute
node we should ask for this data, and what exactly we should ask, as
we don't actually know if the storage is shared in the context of
nova-api/nova-scheduler processes).

Thanks,
Roman