[openstack-dev] [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 22:59:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
wrote:

> On 08/28/2014 04:01 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Alan Kavanagh
>> <alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com <mailto:alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I share Donald's points here, I believe what would help is to
>>     clearly describe in the Wiki the process and workflow for the BP
>>     approval process and build in this process how to deal with
>>     discrepancies/disagreements and build timeframes for each stage and
>>     process of appeal etc.
>>     The current process would benefit from some fine tuning and helping
>>     to build safe guards and time limits/deadlines so folks can expect
>> cold.
>>

>> This is a resource problem, the nova team simply does not have enough
>> people doing enough reviews to make this possible.
>>

> All the more reason to make it obvious which reviews are not being
> addressed in a timely fashion.  (I'm thinking something akin to the order
> screen at a fast food restaurant that starts blinking in red and beeping if
> an order hasn't been filled in a certain amount of time.)
>
> Perhaps by making it clear that reviews are a bottleneck this will
> actually help to address the problem.

Yes, better tracking of when a review goes stale (nova and nova-specs) is a
great idea. Now we just need a volunteer to work on a good way to identify
them, make that information easy to consume, and make a plan to help us
wrangle the reviews.

Russell has some numbers (and code) around this, Nova has 618 open reviews,
of which 225 are waiting for reviewers [0].

[0] http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-openreviews.html