[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Octavia VM image design

Dustin Lundquist dustin at null-ptr.net
Wed Aug 27 21:12:22 UTC 2014

It seems to me there are two major approaches to the Octavia VM design:

   1. Start with a standard Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and
   install HAProxy 1.5 and Octavia control layer
   2. Develop a minimal purpose driven distribution (similar to m0n0wall)
   with just HAProxy, iproute2 and a Python runtime for the control layer.

The primary difference here is additional development effort for option 2,
verses the increased image size of option 1. Using Ubuntu and CirrOS images
a representative of the two options it looks like the image size difference
is on the about 20 times larger for a full featured distribution. If one of
the HA models is to spin up a replacement instance on failure the image
size could be significantly affect fail-over time.

For initial work I think starting with a standard distribution would be
sensible, but we should target systemd (Debian adopted systemd as new
default, and Ubuntu is following suit). I wanted to find out if there is
interest in a minimal Octavia image, and if so this may affect design
decisions on the instance control plane component.

-Dustin