[openstack-dev] [all] [ptls] The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:45:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/14 11:19, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Zane Bitter wrote:

>>> -1 we really don't.
>>>

>> I know we disagree on that :)
>>

> No problem, you and I work in different programs so we can both get our
> way ;)
>

>  People say we don't have that many deadlocks in OpenStack for which the
>>>>

>>> s/that many/any/ IME and I think that threatening to break a deadlock by
>>> fiat is just as bad as actually doing it. And by 'bad' I mean
>>> community-poisoningly, trust-destroyingly bad.
>>>

>> I guess I've been active in too many dysfunctional free and open source
>> software projects -- I put a very high value on the ability to make a
>> final decision. Not being able to make a decision is about as
>> community-poisoning, and also results in inability to make any
>> significant change or decision.
>>

> I'm all for getting a final decision, but a 'final' decision that has been
> imposed from outside rather than internalised by the participants is...
> rarely final.

The expectation of a PTL isn't to stomp around and make "final" decisions,
it's to step in when necessary and help both sides find the best solution.
To moderate.

> I have yet to see a deadlock in Heat that wasn't resolved by better
> communication.

Moderation == bettering communication. I'm under the impression that you
and Thierry are agreeing here, just from opposite ends of the same spectrum.