[openstack-dev] [Octavia] Minutes from 8/13/2014 meeting

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Aug 19 17:05:39 UTC 2014

Thanks for the summary Trevor.

On 08/18/2014 01:25 PM, Trevor Vardeman wrote:
> 1) Discuss future of Octavia in light of Neutron-incubator project proposal.
>     a) There are many problems with Neutron-Incubator as currently described

Let's be specific, enumerate the problems and address them, please.

And keeping in mind that Neutron code is *still* bashed by many users
out there. In the past user surveys users have asked to 'fix Neutron'
first, not many have asked 'more Neutron'. Here are some actual quotes
from the survey as a reminder:

"Would love to see Neutron stabilize (so we can get rid of Nova
networking) and Heat to get moved forward."

"More stability / reliability in Neutron. Also, support for Cisco Insieme. "

"Neutron is relatively unusable. It's missing quite a bit of
functionality from nova-network that makes it easily usable by small to
medium deployments. "

"Get a way from migrating from nova-network multihost to neutron. Giving
priority to bugs that actually affect production installations[...]"

I'm sure we'll collect more feedback at the coming Operators Summit,
too. If you're developing Neutron, think about hopping by
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/openstack-ops-mid-cycle-meetup-tickets-12149171499

>     b) The political happenings in Neutron
[...]

This is not the first time I hear about the term 'political' referred to
discussions and decisions that should be technical inside OpenStack.
Being Italian, I take the term 'political' in this context as an offense
since it carries connotations of abuse of power, incompetence, even
straight delinquency.

I'd like to get to the root cause here: OpenStack has places where you
can spell things out without fear of repercussions and people willing to
listen.

What are these 'political happenings' that you see? Write or call me,
Tom, call Jonathan Bryce, Heidi Bretz or anybody else at the
Foundation...  We're all available to listen and maintain anonymity. I
(and others at the Foundation) need to understand exactly what is
causing troubles so we can fix them.  Generic allegations don't help.

>     b) One major point was other openstack/stackforge use video meetings
> as their "primary" source as well

What other openstack/ (*not* stackforge) program uses video meetings?

/stef