[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 06:54:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:54:37PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 03:40 PM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

[. . .]

(Sorry for the late response, was off for a week.)

> > So, effectively, you're trying to add a minimal Fedora image w/
> > virt-preview repo (as part of some post-install kickstart script).
> > If so, where would the image be stored? I'm asking because,
> > previously Sean Dague mentioned of mirroring issues (which later
> > turned out to be intermittent network issues with OpenStack infra
> > cloud providers) of Fedora images, and floated an idea whether an
> > updated image can be stored on tarballs.openstack.org, like how
> > Trove[1] does. But, OpenStack infra folks (fungi) raised some valid
> > points on why not do that.
> >
> > IIUC, if you intend to run tests w/ this CI job with this new image,
> > there has to be a mechanism in place to ensure the cached copy (on
> > tarballs.o.o) is updated.
> >
> > If I misunderstood what you said, please correct me.
>
> Patches for this here:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/113349/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/113350/
>
> The first one is the important part about how the image is created.
> nodepool runs some prep scripts against the cloud's distro image and
> then snapshots it.  That's the image stored to be used later for
> testing.
>
> In this case, it enables the virt-preview repo and then calls out to
> the regular devstack prep scripts to cache all packages needed for the
> test locally on the image.

Cool, the first change looks fine to me. And I see that the second one,
you marked as WIP.

> If there are issues with the reliability of fedorapeople.org, it will
> indeed cause problems,

In my past 3 years of its usage, I haven't seen any noticeable
reliability issues, so we're fine there.

> but at least it's local to image creation and not every test run.

True.

Thanks for this. It'll surely make it easier to test Nova with more
bleeding edge libvirt/QEMU.

--
/kashyap