[openstack-dev] [vmware] Canonical list of os types

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 11:32:36 UTC 2014

I've just spent the best part of a day tracking down why instance
creation was failing on a particular setup. The error message from
CreateVM_Task was: 'A specified parameter was not correct'.

After discounting a great many possibilities, I finally discovered that
the problem was guestId, which was being set to 'CirrosGuest'.
Unusually, the vSphere API docs don't contain a list of valid values for
that field. Given the unhelpfulness of the error message, it might be
worthwhile validating that field (which we get from glance) and
displaying an appropriate warning.

Does anybody have a canonical list of valid values?

Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490