[openstack-dev] [designate] [neutron] designate and neutron integration

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hp.com
Mon Aug 11 17:41:08 UTC 2014

kazuhiro MIYASHITA,

As designate progresses with server pools, we aim to have support for a
'private' dns server, that could run within a neutron network - is that
the level of integration you were referring to?

That is, for the time being, a long term goal, and not covered by Carl's
Kilo blueprint.

We talked with both people from both Neutron and Nova in Atlanta, and
worked out the first steps for designate / neutron integration (auto
provisioning of records)

For that level of integration, we are assuming that a neutron router
will be involved in DNS queries within a network.

Long term I would prefer to see a 'private pool' connecting directly to
the Network2 (like any other service VM (LBaaS etc)) and have dnsmasq
pass on only records hosted by that 'private pool' to designate.

This is all yet to be fleshed out, so I am open to suggestions. It
requires that we complete server pools, and that work is only just
starting (it was the main focus of our mid-cycle 2 weeks ago).

Graham