[openstack-dev] [nova] fair standards for all hypervisor drivers

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 13:34:22 UTC 2014

On 08/11/2014 09:17 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-08-11 08:04:34 -0400 (-0400), Russell Bryant wrote:
>> Dang, I'd love to see those numbers.  :-)
>
> Me too. Now that I'm not travelling I'll see if I can find out what
> he meant by that.
>
>> Understood.  Some questions ... is building an image that has libvirt
>> and qemu pre-installed from source good enough?  It avoids the
>> dependency on job runs, but moves it to image build time though, so it
>> still exists.
>
> Moving complex stability risks to image creation time still causes
> us to potentially fail to update our worker images as often, which
> means tests randomly run on increasingly stale systems in some
> providers/regions until the issue is noticed, identified and
> addressed. That said, we do already compile some things during job
> runs today (in particular, library bindings which get install-time
> linked by some Python modules).
>
> In reality, depending on more things gathered from different places
> on the Internet (be it Git repository sites like GitHub/Bitbucket,
> or private package collections) decreases our overall stability far
> more than compiling things does.
>
>> If the above still doesn't seem like a workable setup, then I think we
>> should just go straight to an image with fedora + virt-preview repo,
>> which kind of sounds easier, anyway.
>
> If it's published from EPEL or whatever Fedora's equivalent is, then
> that's probably fine. If it's served from a separate site, then that
> increases the chances that we run into network issues either at
> image build time or job run time. Also, we would want to make sure
> whatever solution we settle on is well integrated within DevStack
> itself, so that individual developers can recreate these conditions
> themselves without a lot of additional work.

EPEL is a repo produced by the Fedora project for RHEL and its
derivatives.  The virt-preview repo is hosted on fedorapeople.org, which
is where custom repos live.  I'd say it's more analogous to Ubuntu's PPAs.

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virt-preview/

> One other thing to keep in mind... Fedora's lifecycle is too short
> for us to support outside of jobs for our master branches, so this
> would not be a solution beyond release time (we couldn't continue to
> run these jobs for Juno once released if the solution hinges on
> Fedora). Getting the versions we want developers and deployers to
> use into Ubuntu 14.04 Cloud Archive and CentOS (RHEL) 7 EPEL on the
> other hand would be a much more viable long-term solution.

Yep, makes sense.

For testing bleeding edge, I've also got my eye on how we could do this
with CentOS.  There is a virt SIG in CentOS that I'm hoping will produce
something similar to Fedora's virt-preview repo, but it's not there yet.
 I'm going to go off and discuss this with the SIG there.

http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Virtualization

--
Russell Bryant