[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 13:36:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Nikola Đipanov wrote:

> To me the runway approach seems like yet another set of arbitrary hoops
> that we will put in place so that we don't have to tell people that we
> don't have bandwidth/willingness to review and help their contribution in.

I pretty much agree with this. As things stand there are a lot of
hoops for casual contributors. For the people who make more regular
contributions these hoops are either taken as the norm and good safety
precautions or are an annoying tax that you just kind of have to
deal with.

Few of those hoops say clearly and explicitly that the project is
resource constrained. There are certainly lots of clues and cues
that is going on. It would be best to be as open and upfront as
possible.

Meanwhile, there are fairly perverse incentives in place that work
against strategic contribution, despite many people acknowledging
the need to be more strategic.

It's a tricky problem. If there really is a resource starvation
problem, it is best to be honest that this is a project that is
primarily funded by and staffed from organizational members. From
there is where strategic resources will have to come, in part
because of the incentives, in part because those organizational
members want a healthy framework on which to lay their tactical
changes and a context in which to say "lookee, we're a part of this
big deal thing".

But after all that it's important to keep in mind that shit's not
broken: Every few days I'll update all my various repos and think "wow
that's an awful lot of changed code".

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent