[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Philip Cheong philip.cheong at elastx.se
Fri Aug 8 13:20:05 UTC 2014

This thread couldn't help but make me wonder what kind of problems people
hit developing on the linux kernel.

I discovered this pretty incredible article which seemed to have enough
relevant information in it to post it, but also give me the hopes that
Openstack and it's contributors are different enough that we can avoid
similar issues.

Gives some perspective at least...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/

> On 08/08/2014 11:37 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Personally I think we just need to get better at communicating the
> > downstream expectations, so that if we create waste, it's clearly
> > upstream fault rather than downstream. Currently it's the lack of
> > communication that makes developers produce more / something else than
> > what core reviewers want to see. Any tool that lets us communicate
> > expectations better is welcome, and I think the runway approach is one
> > such tool, simple enough to understand.
> >

> I strongly agree with everything here except the last part of the last
> sentence.
>
> To me the runway approach seems like yet another set of arbitrary hoops
> that we will put in place so that we don't have to tell people that we
> don't have bandwidth/willingness to review and help their contribution in.
>
> It is "process over communication" at it's finest and will in no way
> help to foster an open and honest communication in the community IMHO. I
> don't see it making matters any worse, since I think what we have now is
> more or less that with one layer of processes less, but I don't see it
> making things better either.
>
> The biggest issue I see is that there is no justifiable metric with
> which we can back up assigning a slot to a feature other than "we say
> so". We can do that just as easily without "runways".
>
> I'd love for someone to tell me what am I missing here...
>
> Nikola

*Philip Cheong*
*Elastx *| Public and Private PaaS
email: philip.cheong at elastx.se