[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][Technical Committee] nova-network -> Neutron. Throwing a wrench in the Neutron gap analysis

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:17:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 06/08/14 03:54, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> Perhaps those large operators that are hoping for a
>>> Nova-Network->Neutron zero-downtime live migration, could dedicate
>>> resources to this requirement? It is my direct experience that features
>>> that are important to a large organization will require resources
>>> from that very organization to be completed.
>>>

>> Indeed, that's partly why I called out Metacloud in the original post,
>> as they were brought up as a deployer with this potential need. Please,
>> if there are any other shops that:
>>
>> * Currently deploy nova-network
>> * Need to move to Neutron
>> * Their tenants cannot tolerate any downtime due to a cold migration
>>
>> Please do comment on this thread and speak up.
>>

> Just to chip in for the dozens of users I have personally spoken to that
> do have the requirement for nova-network to neutron migration, and would be
> adversely affected if it was not implemented prior to deprecating
> nova-network: raising this concept only on a development mailing list is a
> bad idea :)

The way I see it, a migration strategy shouldn't be required to make
neutron the recommended networking model in OpenStack (something that the
nova team is not comfortable saying today). But a migration strategy is
required for deprecating nova-network (starting the clock for a possible
removal date).  For deployers this comes down to two different questions:

* What networking model should be used in greenfield deployments?
* How do I migrate to the new networking solution?