[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward

Aaron Rosen aaronorosen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 07:09:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at vmware.com> wrote:

> On 8/5/14, 8:53 PM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >On 08/05/2014 01:23 PM, Gary Kotton wrote:
> >> Ok, thanks for the clarification. This means that it will not be done
> >> automagically as it is today ­ the tenant will need to create a Neutron
> >> port and then pass that through.
> >
> >FWIW, that's the direction we've wanted to move in Nova anyway.  We'd
> >like to get rid of automatic port creation, but can't do that in the
> >current stable API.
>
> Can you elaborate on what you mean here? What are the issues with port
> creation?

Having nova-compute create ports for neutron is problematic if timeouts
occur between nova and neutron as you have to garbage collect neutron ports
in nova to cleanup (which was the cause of several bug in the cache handing
allowing ports to leak into the info_cache in nova).  Pushing this out to
the tenant is less orchestration nova has to do.