[openstack-dev] [Trove] Service configuration options modification

Denis Makogon dmakogon at mirantis.com
Mon Aug 4 12:20:06 UTC 2014

Hello, Stackers.

I’d like to propose policy for configuration option deprecation taking into
account all requirements related to production deployment.

As you all know, there are a lot patches that are proposing modifications
to existing configuration. And options are being modified without any(not
always) documentation that reflects differences behaviour with old and new
options.

    What we’re doing right now doesn’t seems to be the most valid way, we
shouldn’t delete options without any signs (DocImpact section, at least).

We should find more appropriate way to handle such cases, the most
appropriate way to handle given case is to use oslo-config abilities - mark
option as “Deprecated”.

Here’s proposed workflow for modifications. Once option is being modified:

   1.

   Leave option that is going to be modified as is, add Deprecated flag.
   Clean-up code from usage from deprecated option.
   2.

   Add new option. Add usage to existing code as substitution to previous
   option.
   3.

   Add documentation that reflects differences between options: new and
   deprecated one.
   4.

   Add documentation that reflects behaviour  of existing code with new
   option.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Denis Makogon