[openstack-dev] [Ironic] detailed git commit messages

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 00:29:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We've all been pretty lax about the amount of detail that we put in commit
messages some times, and I'd like to change that as we start Juno
development. Why? Well, just imagine that, six months from now, you're
going to write a document describing *all* the changes in Juno, just based
on the commit messages...

The git commit message should be a succinct but complete description of the
changes in your patch set. If you can't summarize the change in a few
paragraphs, perhaps that's a sign the patch should be split up! So, I'm
going to start -1'ing patches if I don't think the commit message has
enough detail in it. I would like to encourage other cores to do the same.

What's "enough" detail? It's subjective, but there are some lengthy and
detailed guidelines here that everyone should be familiar with :)
  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages

Cheers,
Devananda

(If English isn't your native language, feel free to ask in channel for a
little help writing the summary.)