[openstack-dev] [UX] User Experience cross-project sessions at Summit

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:01:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Liz Blanchard <lsurette at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2014, at 3:58 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>  > After the UX session(s) there is a "OpenStack clients and SDKs" workshop
> > that will go into the implementation details of some of that, but I
> > still think that UX should set high-level goals for the whole user
> > experience, not just the browser-driven one.
> I definitely will plan to attend this session, thanks for the heads up on
> this

This is going to be an interesting session in that some of the original
proposals were intended to be implementation-level and some conceptual
and/or organizational level.

> Note that the people working on OpenStack clients / SDKs also look at
> > becoming a program -- it may actually make sense to combine both efforts
> > in a single "end user experience" program.

As I've understood some of the criteria used for evaluating how projects
belong under programs it included some of the overlap in project developer
community.  At the moment, there is no overlap that I know of between
OSC+the set of SDK projects and Horizon, or the existing UX folk.  I
believe that ideally there would be some, but it hasn't happened yet.

The Client Tools program proposal is done enough that I'll start an ML
discussion later today.  That'll be a good place to evaluate potential
future options.

I think working closely with the folks who are tackling efforts around
> OpenStack clients / SDKs makes a lot of sense. I will be sure to encourage
> conversations between the two groups on how we can work together towards a
> common UX goal!

The things I long for in terms of what should overlap is a place to discuss
things like agreements on terminology or how certain resources might be
represented outside of the cloud; 'tenant' vs 'project' is a prime example.

The ambiguousness of the term 'user' is not helping.  It means different
things to an SDK and a CLI and a webUI: an operator, a consumer, an app
developer and devops/sysadmin, and more.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com