[openstack-dev] [Heat] Meeting time redux

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 11:17:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 03:12:40PM -0400, Zane Bitter wrote:
> At the beginning of this year we introduced alternating times for
> the Heat weekly IRC meeting, in the hope that our contributors in
> Asia would be able to join us. The consensus is that this hasn't
> worked out as well as we had hoped - even the new time falls at 8am
> in Beijing, so folks are regularly unable to make the meeting. It
> also falls at 5pm on the west coast of the US, so folks from there
> are also regularly unable to make the meeting too. And of course it
> is in the middle of the night for Europe, so the meeting room looks
> like a ghost town.
>
> Since we are in a new development cycle (with the PTL in a different
> location) and daylight savings has kicked in/out in many places,
> let's review our options. Here are our choices as I see it:
>
> * Keep going with the current system or some minor tweak to it.

Do we know why it's not working?  8am and 5pm seem like relatively
reasonable times from where I'm sitting, so would tweaking it by a couple
of hours make any difference?

> * Flip the alternate meeting by 12 hours to 1200 UTC. (8pm in China,
> late night in Oceania, early-morning on the east coast of the US and
> we lose the rest of the US.)
>
> * Lose all US-based folks and have a meeting for the rest of the
> world at around 0700 UTC. (US-based folks include me, so I would
> have to ask someone else to take care of passing on
> messages-from-the-PTL.)

Personally I think it's important for the PTL to attend most meetings, so
-1 on this.

> * Abandon the alternating meetings altogether.

I'm mildly in favour of this, but probably only for selfish reasons since
the current alternating time is bad for me personally ;)

I definitely want our meeting structure to be inclusive, but I don't really
have a clear idea of how many are exlcuded from participating (i.e those
who actually will turn up if we continue alternating), so unless we get
feedback from folks saying they will turn up at $alternating_time to solve
the ghost town problem, I'm in favour of abandoning.

My £0.002 :)

Steve