[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Nova-network to Neutron migration: issues with libvirt

Oleg Bondarev obondarev at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 18 13:52:11 UTC 2014

Hi all,

While investigating possible options for Nova-network to Neutron migration
I faced a couple of issues with libvirt.
One of the key requirements for the migration is that instances should stay
running and don't need restarting. In order to meet this requirement we
need
to either attach new nic to the instance or update existing one to plug it
to the Neutron network.

So what I've discovered is that attaching a new network device is only
applied
on the instance after reboot although *VIR_DOMAIN_AFFECT_LIVE* flag is
passed to
the libvirt call *attachDeviceFlags()*:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L1412
Is that expected? Are there any other options to apply new nic without
reboot?

I also tried to update existing nic of an instance by using libvirt
*updateDeviceFlags()* call,
but it fails with the following:
*'this function is not supported by the connection driver: cannot modify
network device configuration'*
libvirt API spec (http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html) shows that 0.8.0 as
minimal
qemu version for the virDomainUpdateDeviceFlags call, kvm --version on my
setup shows
'*QEMU emulator version 1.0 (qemu-kvm-1.0)*'
Could someone please point what am I missing here?

Any help on the above is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Oleg