[openstack-dev] [Nova][blueprint] Accelerate the booting process of a number of vms via VMThunder

lihuiba magazine.lihuiba at 163.com
Thu Apr 17 13:44:53 UTC 2014

glance-bittorrent-delivery and VMThunder have similar goals ---- fast provisioning
of large amount of VMs, and they share some ideas like P2P transferring, but they
go with different techniques.

VMThunder only downloads data blocks that are really used by VMs, so as to
reduce bandwith and time required to provision. We have experiments showing
that only a few hundred MB of data is needed to boot an mainstream OS like
CentOS 6.x, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 2008, etc., while the images are GBs or
even tens of GBs large.

National Key Laboratory for Parallel and Distributed
Processing, College of Computer Science, National University of Defense
Technology, Changsha, Hunan Province, P.R. China
410073

在 2014-04-17 19:06:27,"Jesse Pretorius" <jesse.pretorius at gmail.com> 写道:

This whole discussion reminded me of this:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-bittorrent-delivery
http://tropicaldevel.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/an-image-transfers-service-for-openstack/

The general idea was that Glance would be able to serve images through torrents, enabling the capability for compute hosts to participate in image delivery. Well, the second part was where I thought it was going - I'm not sure if that was the intention.

It didn't seem to go anywhere, but I thought it was a nifty idea.