[openstack-dev] [Nova][blueprint] Accelerate the booting process of a number of vms via VMThunder

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:06:27 UTC 2014

On 17 April 2014 11:11, Zhi Yan Liu <lzy.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I said currently Nova already has image caching mechanism, so in
> this case P2P is just an approach could be used for downloading or
> preheating for image caching.
>
> I think  P2P transferring/pre-caching sounds a  good way to go, as I
> mentioned as well, but actually for the area I'd like to see something
> like zero-copy + CoR. On one hand we can leverage the capability of
> on-demand downloading image bits by zero-copy approach, on the other
> hand we can prevent to reading data from remote image every time by
> CoR.

This whole discussion reminded me of this:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/glance-bittorrent-delivery
http://tropicaldevel.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/an-image-transfers-service-for-openstack/

The general idea was that Glance would be able to serve images through
torrents, enabling the capability for compute hosts to participate in image
delivery. Well, the second part was where I thought it was going - I'm not
sure if that was the intention.

It didn't seem to go anywhere, but I thought it was a nifty idea.