[openstack-dev] [Heat] Stack snapshots

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 10:56:25 UTC 2014

You're probably going to want to look at the proposals for volume
consistency groups in cinder - backing up/snapshotting volumes
independently is likely to cause issues with some applications, since
different VMs will be in slightly different states, so you can get
lost or duplicated work/records/etc

On 15 April 2014 12:16, Thomas Herve <thomas.herve at enovance.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started working on the stack snapshot blueprint [1] and wrote a first series of patches [2] to get a feeling of what's possible. I have a couple of related design questions though:
>
>  * Is a stack snapshot independent of the stack? That's the way I chose for my patches, you start with a stack, but then you can show and delete snapshots independently. The main impact will be how restoration works: is restoration an update action on a stack towards a specific state, or a creation action with backup data?
>
>  * Consequently, should be use volume backups (which survive deleting of the original volumes) or volume snapshots (which don't). If the snapshot is dependent of the stack, then we can use the more efficient snapshot operation. But backup is also an interesting use-case, so should it be another action completely?
>

> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/stack-snapshot
>
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/heat+branch:master+topic:bp/stack-snapshot,n,z
>
> Thanks,
>
> --