[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Eric Windisch eric at windisch.us
Wed Apr 16 19:06:16 UTC 2014

> > As I really would like to keep a 1:1 matching with my current Devstack
> > installation, have you tried to trick Dockenstack by modifying the
> > localrc file to say Qemu as the driver ?

Not yet, but I'd like to. It has been a secondary goal at this point. I
have successfully tested with the Libvirt-LXC driver, however.

> > Of course, it will need to run the container in a privileged mode (and
> > btw. building a Dockerfile with privileged mode is not yet possible) but
> > it sounds possible.

It isn't necessary to build with a privileged mode, it only needs to run
that way. Dockenstack already requires this for docker-in-docker anyway, so
it's not an issue to require this for Qemu.

> I was doing some experimentation this weekend on that, however with
> straight up devstack in docker the fact that docker actively manages
> /etc/hosts (it's not a real file, it's part of AUFS), complicates some
> things. I also couldn't seemingly get rabbitmq to work in this env.
> Honestly I expect that largely to be about hostname sensitivities, which
> is why we muck with /etc/hosts so much.

I had no problems, but I haven't tested Dockenstack with the Docker 0.9 or
0.10 releases, I last used it on 0.8.1.  I'll be updating the Dockerfile
and testing it throughly with the latest Docker release once we merge the
devstack patches.

Regards,
Eric Windisch