[openstack-dev] [infra][nova][docker]

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sun Apr 13 12:26:20 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 03:24 PM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
> Hi Eric,

> <mailto:ewindisch at docker.com>>:
>

>     <snip>
>

>     As for dockenstack, this might deserve a separate thread. What I've
>     done here is build something that may be useful to openstack-infra
>     and might necessitate further discussion. It's the fastest way to
>     get the Docker driver up and running, but that's aside to its more
>     generic usefulness as a potential tool for openstack-infra.
>     Basically, I do not see dockenstack as being in conflict with
>     devstack-gate. If anything, it overlaps more with
>     'install_jenkins_slave.sh'.
>

> I was about testing the possibility to run devstack in a Docker
> container until I found the dockenstack project. Sounds great, as i
> already provided some way to test another Stackforge project within a
> container [1], but IIRC Dockenstack is running Docker as Nova driver for
> Devstack.
>
> As I really would like to keep a 1:1 matching with my current Devstack
> installation, have you tried to trick Dockenstack by modifying the
> localrc file to say Qemu as the driver ?
> Of course, it will need to run the container in a privileged mode (and
> btw. building a Dockerfile with privileged mode is not yet possible) but
> it sounds possible.
>
> If Dockenstack would run the same capabilities as for Jenkins slave,
> that would be a good alternative for CI.

Honestly, this is the thing I'm much more interested in with docker.
Running kvm computers under docker so that you could run devstack on
workstations in a container, but use real kvm guests for computes, which
would dramatically speed up running devstack locally (instead of putting
it in a VM for isolation). Docker only supporting docker computes isn't
all that interesting, as it means a radically different local test
environment vs. the upstream gate.

I was doing some experimentation this weekend on that, however with
straight up devstack in docker the fact that docker actively manages
/etc/hosts (it's not a real file, it's part of AUFS), complicates some
things. I also couldn't seemingly get rabbitmq to work in this env.
Honestly I expect that largely to be about hostname sensitivities, which
is why we muck with /etc/hosts so much.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague