[openstack-dev] Seeking interest in an open Content Delivery Network (CDN) API

Amit Gandhi amit.gandhi at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 16 15:36:56 UTC 2014

OpenStack,

Our team is currently seeking partners who share an interest and
enthusiasm for exploring the possibility of Content Delivery Network (CDN)
capabilities within the open ecosystem. Our desire is to create a unified
and open API that leverages existing CDN providers in an open
source-friendly way.

Today, there are a large number of CDN providers who offer similar CDN
capabilities with widely-differing APIs. Applications built around these
current CDN offerings are usually locked into that vendor.  Changing a CDN
provider typically requires significant software and operational changes
on the part of the application developer.

We would like to start a dialog with other organizations and individuals
in the community that would like to work together to solve this common
problem.  We would like to identify the community needs and flesh out the
features of an open CDN API that supports multiple CDN providers.

Together, we can build an offering that helps remove vendor lock in to
existing CDN providers.

When the time is right, this team of interested parties can determine
where this project should live (e.g. OpenStack), or find the ecosystem
that makes the most sense.

We are looking for contributors from the community.  Please contact me
directly for an initial conversation on your needs and interest.  I will
then set up a community brainstorming session on IRC and we can also
discuss it at the Atlanta OpenStack Summit.

Thanks,

Amit Gandhi
Rackspace ­ Atlanta