[openstack-dev] [Ironic][TripleO] "ubuntu deploy-ironic" element ramdisk does not detect sata disks

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Apr 14 09:45:31 UTC 2014

Hi

At the point you get that error, it should also give you about 10 seconds
to press "t" to get a troubleshooting shell (or you can specify
"troubleshoot" on the kernel command line if you prefer).

I would start with that and have a poke around dmesg and /dev to see what
it can see by way of disks.

Cheers,

Chris

On 11 April 2014 12:10, Rohan Kanade <openstack at rohankanade.com> wrote:

> I am using Ironic's out of tree Nova driver and running Ironic +
> PXESeamicro driver.
>
> I am using a ubuntu based deployment ramdisk created using below cmd in
> diskimage-builder.
>
> "sudo bin/ramdisk-image-create -a amd64 ubuntu deploy-ironic -o
> /tmp/deploy-ramdisk"
>
> I can see that the ramdisk is pxe-booted on the baremetal correctly. But
> the ramdisk throws an error saying it cannot find the target disk device
>

> https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/elements/deploy-ironic/init.d/80-deploy-ironic#L18
>
> I then hard-code "/dev/sda" as target_disk, yet the ramdisk does not
> actually detect any disks after booting up or while booting up.
>

> I have cross-checked using a SystemRescueCD linux image on the same
> baremetal, i can see all the sata disks attached to it fine.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Regards,
> Rohan Kanade

Cheers,