[openstack-dev] [Ironic][TripleO] "ubuntu deploy-ironic" element ramdisk does not detect sata disks

Rohan Kanade openstack at rohankanade.com
Fri Apr 11 11:10:49 UTC 2014

I am using Ironic's out of tree Nova driver and running Ironic +
PXESeamicro driver.

I am using a ubuntu based deployment ramdisk created using below cmd in
diskimage-builder.

"sudo bin/ramdisk-image-create -a amd64 ubuntu deploy-ironic -o
/tmp/deploy-ramdisk"

I can see that the ramdisk is pxe-booted on the baremetal correctly. But
the ramdisk throws an error saying it cannot find the target disk device

https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/elements/deploy-ironic/init.d/80-deploy-ironic#L18

I then hard-code "/dev/sda" as target_disk, yet the ramdisk does not
actually detect any disks after booting up or while booting up.

I have cross-checked using a SystemRescueCD linux image on the same
baremetal, i can see all the sata disks attached to it fine.

Any pointers?

Regards,
Rohan Kanade