[openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things together for Icehouse (now featuring software orchestration)

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 30 18:44:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am working on the OpenStack project Murano which actually had to solve
the same problem with software level orchestration. Right now Murano has a
DSL language which allows you to define a workflow for a complex service
deployment.
Murano uses Heat for infrastructure managements and actually there is a
part of DSL language which allows you to generate Heat template for
deployment.

This is a native to OpenStack project written in Python following all
OpenStack community rules. Before creating Murano we evaluated different
software orchestrators like SaltStack, Chef and Puppet+mcollective. All of
them have capabilities for software management but all of them are not
native to OpenStack. I think it will be quite reasonable to have something
under full control of OpenStack community then use something which is not
native (even in programming language) to OpenStack.

Here is a link to the project overview:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano/ProjectOverview

Right now Murano is concentrated on Windows services management but we also
working on Linux Agent to allow Linux software configuration too.

When do you have a meeting for HOT software configuration discussion? I
think we can add value here for Heat as we have already required components
for software orchestration with full integration with OpenStack and
Keystone in particular.

Thanks
Georgy

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I was a bit too hasty in writing the last part of my last message;
> I forgot to qualify "software orchestration" to indicate I am speaking only
> of its preparatory phase.  I should have written:
>
> Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 09/27/2013 08:24:49 AM:

> > If I understood your remarks correctly, we agree that there is no
> > (known) reason that the scheduling has to occur in the middle of
> > orchestration (which would have implied that it needed to be
> > incorporated in some sense into Heat).
>

> If you agree that by orchestration you meant specifically infrastructure
> orchestration then we are agreed.  If software orchestration preparation is
> also in the picture then I also agree that holistic infrastructure
> scheduling does not *have to* go in between software orchestration
> preparation and infrastructure orchestration --- but I think that's a
> pretty good place for it.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Georgy Okrokvertskhov