[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Serious Performance Issue in OVS plugin

Robin Wang cloudbengo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 15:02:32 UTC 2013

Hi all,

In our Grizzly deployment, we found a distinct performance reduction on
networking throughput.

While using hybrid vif-driver, together with ovs plugin, the throughput is
dramatically reduced to 2.34 Gb/s. If we turn it back to common vif-driver,
throughput is 12.7Gb/s.

A bug is filed on it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1223267

Hybrid vif-driver makes it possible to leverage iptables-based security
group feature.  However, this dramatical performance reduction might be a
big cost, especially in 10 GE environment.

It'll be appricated, if you share some suggestions on how to solve this
issue. Thanks very much.

Best,
Robin Wang