[openstack-dev] RFC - Icehouse logging harmonization

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:46:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 07:05:19AM -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> > Some of them are not useful to me (but might be to others), like the
> > amqp channel lines. However, everything else has been pretty crucial at
> > one point or another when debugging issues that span between the two
> > tightly-coupled services.
>
> I am completely unfamiliar with the code, so I apologize if these are
> dumb questions:
>
> - Is everything making use of Python's logging module?

AFAIK yes, and if not we should be.

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/etc/nova/nova.conf.sample#n1408
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/etc/nova/logging_sample.conf

> This would let a cloud deployer have much more granular control
> over what log messages show up (and even what log messages go where).
> For example, maybe I don't care about messages from
> quantum.openstack.common.rpc.impl_qpid, and I generally only want to
> log WARN and above, but I want to see DEBUG messages for
> quantum.plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_quantum_agent.
>
> Or is that Too Much Flexibility?

While I think giving the deployer such fine grain control is a good idea,
we want to include sane defaults when possible.