[openstack-dev] RFC - Icehouse logging harmonization

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 14:24:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 07:05:19AM -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> Some of them are not useful to me (but might be to others), like the
> amqp channel lines. However, everything else has been pretty crucial at
> one point or another when debugging issues that span between the two
> tightly-coupled services.

I am completely unfamiliar with the code, so I apologize if these are
dumb questions:

- Is everything making use of Python's logging module?
- Would this be a could use-case for that module's support of
  file-based configuration
  (http://docs.python.org/2/howto/logging.html#configuring-logging)

This would let a cloud deployer have much more granular control
over what log messages show up (and even what log messages go where).
For example, maybe I don't care about messages from
quantum.openstack.common.rpc.impl_qpid, and I generally only want to
log WARN and above, but I want to see DEBUG messages for
quantum.plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_quantum_agent.

Or is that Too Much Flexibility?

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>