[openstack-dev] [Solum] git-Integration working group

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Nov 23 02:24:26 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 05:37 PM, Krishna Raman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to kickoff the Git integration discussion. Goal of this
> subgroup is to go through the git-integration blueprint [1] and break it
> up into smaller blueprints that we can execute on.
>
> We have to consider 2 workflows:
>    1) For Milestone 1, pull based git workflow where user uses a public
> git repository (possibly on github) to trigger the build
>    2) For later milestones, a push based workflow where the git
> repository is maintained by Solum

Hi!

I'm a little disappointed that we've decided to base the initial
workflow on something that is not related to the world-class git-based
developer tooling that the OpenStack project has already produced. We
have a GIANT amount of tooling in this space, and it's all quite
scalable. There is also the intent by 3 or 4 different groups to make it
more re-usable/re-consumable, including thoughts in making sure that we
can drive it from and have it consume heat.

> Devdatta has created 2 blueprints for consideration: [2] [3]
>
> I have set up a doodle to poll for a /recurring/ meeting time for this
> subgroup: http://doodle.com/7wypkzqe9wep3d33#table   (Timezone support
> is enabled)
>
> Currently the plan is to try G+ hangouts to run this meetings and scribe
> on #solum. This will limit us to a
> max of 10 participants. If we have more interest, we will need to see
> how to change the meetings.

We have IRC meeting channels for meetings. They are logged - and they
have the benefit that they do not require non-Open Source software to
access. If you have them in IRC, the team from OpenStack who is already
working on developer workflow around git can potentially participate.

I don't mean to be negative, but if you want to be a PaaS for OpenStack,
I would strongly consider not using G+ when we have IRC, and I would
strongly suggest engaging with the Infra projects that already know how
to do git-based workflow and action triggering.