[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at bull.net
Fri Nov 15 09:13:37 UTC 2013

Le 14/11/2013 20:46, Clint Byrum a écrit :

> Now, choose which city will grow faster and produce more innovation.

The problem is larger than only innovation, it is also making sure the
Stackforge projects are also a starting point for contributing to
Openstack in a different manner. ATCs can also get the opportunity to
jump in another project on their spare time if they wish.
Isolating Stackforge projects into a separate mailing-list would then
reduce visibility to Stackforge projects and as a consequence would
reduce the permeability between Openstack and Stackforge.

On a technical note, as a Stackforge contributor, I'm trying to
implement best practices of Openstack coding into my own project, and
I'm facing day-to-day issues trying to understand what Oslo libs do or
how they can be used in a fashion manner. Should I want to ask question
to the community, I would have to cross-post to both lists.

One last point, having two different lists with most of people
subscribing to both wouldn't help reduce the noise, as you would still
get all the messages (maybe in two different folders, but still
getting'em). I totally agree with the fact that openstack-dev@ is noisy.
That said, we need to enforce the use of Subject headers and maybe
accept meetings reminders are not relevant to be communicated using this
channel (we could still notify people within the IRC rooms) and chase up
any non-development question, that would be a first step for that.

One last thing I'm thinking about is logging IRC channel discussions so
we could keep track of discussions over there, that would maybe help
reducing the number of chatty messages we're sending off to the list
just about implementation or reviews concerns.

2cts,
-Sylvain