[openstack-dev] Translatable strings in CLIs

Hugh Saunders hugh at wherenow.org
Wed May 29 20:10:47 UTC 2013

Hi All,
While reviewing a patch [1] for python-novaclient it was suggested that the
strings involved should be translatable.

I could only find one string that is translatable within novaclient and
none within swiftclient or glanceclient. To make all the output of
novaclient translatable is a reasonably sized project due to the large
number of strings involved - 460 command help messages for a start.

I raised a bug to track the request [2] but would like some input on the
best way to approach this.
  * Do any of the other CLIs have translatable strings, including help
messages, usage, errors etc?
  * Are there any cases where a string that is output should not be wrapped
in _() ?
  * Any other tricks to do with translation that would be useful to know?
  * Should this be a blueprint or is a bug ok?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/30734/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1185561

--
Hugh Saunders