[openstack-dev] Future of Launchpad Answers [Community]

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 22 10:48:43 UTC 2013

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> I agree that we shouldn't have both active, but we have to figure out
> what todo with existing data on launchpad answers. Something like
> this is what I'd expect to happen, to minimise harm/pain for users.
>
>  - Make the existing site read-only indefinitely, so people &
>    search engines can view existing answers forever more.
>
>  - Copy any existing questions without answers, that were asked
>    in the last months over to the new answers site.
>
>  - Add an answer to all copied questions on launchpad, pointing
>    to the same question on the new site.

I tried disabling Answers on test projects on staging.launchpad.net and
here is the result:

* You can't make Answers read-only
* If you disable Answers, you cannot access the questions list anymore
* If you disable Answers, you can still access individual questions (and
answer them) if you have the link

So, disabling Answers doesn't break existing questions or links to them.
It just makes it impossible to submit new ones and search them from
Launchpad interface.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)