[openstack-dev] Future of Launchpad Answers [Community]

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 18:14:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 02:04:59PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 01:55 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> > Hello folks
> >
> > with http://ask.openstack.org rolling we need to decide what to do with
> > Launchpad Answers. These are referenced as 'Technical Support' inside
> > pages like https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Project_Resources like for
> > example, for Nova, swift, ecc:
> >
> > Answers (tech support): https://answers.launchpad.net/nova
> > Answers (tech support): https://answers.launchpad.net/swift
> >
> > I know that Answers has interesting features, like it allows for a
> > question to become a bug very easily. On the other hand, Launchpad UI is
> > bad and from what we hear, Launchpad Answers itself doesn't have a
> > bright future ahead.
> >
> > I would suggest that we don't promote the use of Answers anymore and use
> > Ask OpenStack instead, with specific tags. If we really need the
> > Question-to-bug functionality we can always develop an extension to
> > Askbot (the software that powers Ask OpenStack) to interoperate with
> > Launchpad.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I have made use of the conversion feature, but it's not *that* often.
> For me it's usually converting a bug into a question.  It's just as easy
> to recommend that someone try posting on the ask site.
>
> I definitely don't think we should have both systems going at the same
> time.  If we can shut down the launchpad answers sites for each project,
> I think we should do that.

I agree that we shouldn't have both active, but we have to figure out
what todo with existing data on launchpad answers. Something like
this is what I'd expect to happen, to minimise harm/pain for users.

 - Make the existing site read-only indefinitely, so people &
   search engines can view existing answers forever more.

 - Copy any existing questions without answers, that were asked
   in the last months over to the new answers site.

 - Add an answer to all copied questions on launchpad, pointing
   to the same question on the new site.

Regards,
Daniel