[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Mar 20 18:55:07 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 02:29 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 01:27 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> So, I'm confused....
>>
>> As a packager you are re-running the development internal style checkers
>> on released code? and if so, why?
>
> This is totally irrelevant question. The problem isn't that.
>
> As a developer, you are using a distribution, and the packages it
> contains, to build a development environment. What you are asking by
> "pinning" is that a specific version of pep8 should be installed, even
> one that isn't available in Debian. I'm just saying that this is the
> wrong thing to do.
>
> Some developers might be willing to use whatever is available in Debian,
> RedHat, SUSE, whatever... You might also want to do some Grizzly work
> while running on 2012.1 LTS or who knows...
>
> It is also, IMO wrong, to believe that everyone will just run Ubuntu,
> devstack and virtualenv, so therefore, we shouldn't care (I believe this
> is the assertion you are doing here).

It's in test requires, not pip requires. pep8 is never needed for a
running OpenStack system. It shouldn't be in a dependency for a package,
because it's not needed. It would be like making lint a dependency of
Firefox.

It's only needed to contribute to upstream (like Jeremy said, most
projects implement this as a commit hook). We're just also making it
possible for you to run the commit hook on your laptop before submitting
to save yourself some grief.

The assertion isn't that you are on Ubuntu. It is that if you are going
to submit code you should run either tox or venv based unit testing
before submit (or fix it when ci fails you). But pep8 is a submission
criteria, it's not a runtime criteria.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague