[openstack-dev] pep8 pinning in requirements

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Mar 20 18:29:17 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 01:27 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> So, I'm confused....
>
> As a packager you are re-running the development internal style checkers
> on released code? and if so, why?

This is totally irrelevant question. The problem isn't that.

As a developer, you are using a distribution, and the packages it
contains, to build a development environment. What you are asking by
"pinning" is that a specific version of pep8 should be installed, even
one that isn't available in Debian. I'm just saying that this is the
wrong thing to do.

Some developers might be willing to use whatever is available in Debian,
RedHat, SUSE, whatever... You might also want to do some Grizzly work
while running on 2012.1 LTS or who knows...

It is also, IMO wrong, to believe that everyone will just run Ubuntu,
devstack and virtualenv, so therefore, we shouldn't care (I believe this
is the assertion you are doing here).

Thomas